Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

How I Had a Chance to make a killing selling Twinkies on Ebay, but ended up eating them all.

I wish I could tell you that I had a preminition something like this was going to happen to Twinkies, so I went out and bought boxes of the stuff and made a killing on Ebay...but if I had had any decent pyschic ability I would've chosen any other career then radio...something that might've been profitable...like tornado chasing.

Nope. This past Wednesday morning my husband mentioned that Hostess was threatening to shut down...this nugget of information jogged my memory...the part of my brain that knew I was suppose to do something on Wednesday...

Husband: Hostess is threatening to shut down...

Me: Oh that's right, I have to buy treats for the youth group bible meeting tonight...I think I'll buy Twinkies! (And Suzy Q's and oh yes, I bought some Ding Dongs too)...

I ended up buying about 40 bucks...I kept a couple of boxes for myself...I had half a box eaten by 2 pm...the other half of the box I offered to everyone I saw at work...most everyone turned me down...here's what they told me..."I use to eat Twinkies, but they changed something, the cream has an after taste..." In retrospect, they did...but when you mix Twinkies and Diet Coke together, it's not that noticable.

Here's the best part...when I brought all those boxes of Twinkies, Suzy Q's and Ding Dongs to the youth group, the kid taking my treats actually wrinkled his nose when he saw what I brought...

The Kid: "Normally people bring baked goods..."

Me: "These are baked..."

The Kid: "No, what I meant is people bake things and bring them..."

Me: "You've never eaten at my house have you?"

What do you want to bet that by Friday afternoon this kid was kicking himself, tearing through the house looking for any left-over Twinkies, Suzy Q's or Ding Dongs to sell online..."homebaked my ass..."

Cindy Huber



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there!! I thought I would drop by for a visit, since you were kind enough to visit me. Funny thing, last Monday I picked up 2 Hostess fruit pies while out shopping. One cherry for my hubby and 1 lemon for me (I really wanted that lemon, so I HAD to be generous and buy him the cherry). Who knew those would be our last? Well, someone did, but it wasn't me! Anyway, thanks for the smile. Have a beautiful day! :-)

Cindy Huber said...

Wow Tamara! I forgot about the cherry pies! I LOVE them...

You're a great writer, I really enjoy your posts.