Pages

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

When it's 9 pm here...it's 6 am in Fallujah...


My husbands son, my stepson Mark, (he's the one in the middle of our Christmas photo) is now in Iraq. It sounds so ominous...for the last year or so we had the knowledge that he was going hanging over our heads like a sword...and now, it's here.

Last week, my stepson told his dad that once they got to Kuwait...they would be flown in a helicopter where it would be "so high" but not too high, as the terrorist's had rockets they could use to shoot them down, and not "too low" as the terrorist had shoulder rockets that could also, shoot them down.

My husband takes comfort in that this is something his son has always wanted to do...to join the Marines and serve his country. He also takes comfort in a fathers day card his son gave him two years ago...right before he joined the Marines:

"Well dad, i've been yours for the last 19 years now and it's coming to that time in our lives that soon i won't be around at all, who knows where i'll be next year, if i'm even gonna be in this country. You are the best dad in the world, i wouldn't trade you for any other. I mean that, i love you more then anything in this world. Keep safe dad , and no matter what ever happens to me in the future KEEP THE FAITH! Everything and every choice i make, i try to make so you'll be proud of me. That's the most important thing to me is that you are proud of me even when some choices i make, i know you wouldn't be, i look down on those choices.

I don't know what's gonna happen to me while i'm serving the country. Tell you the truth, fear of the unknown scares me to death...one thing that i do know is death. If and when i die i know i'm going to heaven. I know my sins are forgiven, i will never forget what you taught me about our creater, and savior. Thank you dad, you will live forever because of what you have done for me. The people i change for the good will (be) because of you, even if they don't know it yet. I also know that light that is inside of me, the fire that burns within (is) the fire you made.

Thank you dad,

your son,

Mark

Fallujah is northeast of Bagdad and nine hours ahead of Milwaukee, so when we go to bed at night we say a prayer for Mark as he is just waking up...and when we wake up, we say another prayer for Mark because we know he is out there, somewhere, serving his country. It is all we can do for him now.

No comments: