Pages

Friday, December 29, 2023

It's never easy to lose a friend.

 Six years ago it was a Tuesday. I had just seen him at a Packers-Bears game that past Sunday. He was close to my husband and I.

When I was taking an IT course, he had me come over to his house and practice taking the guts out of the computer and reinstall it. When my son hit his laptop keyboard in frustration over something, he told us to come over and he'd repair it. I told my son "I hope you like David Hasselhoff because he does and he'll be playing "the hoff" while he repairs your laptop. But he surprised me. He decided we'd watch German logrolling off the German channel instead.

He was my brother from another mother. On Tuesday morning around 11:30 AM, I was at Joy radio getting ready to leave when a email popped up on my work page that said "Robert Deglau, Deceased." My first thought was who is the blankety blank that put this out? I'm gonna hunt him down and kick his...I called my boss and said "who sent this piece of crap?" He said "Cindy, it's true."

I got called into a meeting the next day to figure out what we were gonna do for his 4 hour show that weekend. I volunteered to put a tribute show together but spent the rest of the week regretting it because listening to his voice, and his shows, trying to decide what to put in was so painful. I listened to his Saturday show he had just done 4 days before, blissfully unaware that this would be his last radio show ever. His tribute show was the hardest thing I ever did in radio. It took me until the night before because I wanted it perfect for him and his beautiful wife Karen.

Möge er in Frieden ruhen!



No comments: