Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

My buddy's thoughts on last night's CMA's

So this morning I get an email from my buddy Bill on his highlights, low lights, or peculiarities that he observed from last night's CMA Awards. As he says, "Please keep in mind that i don't mean to be overcritical or over-the-top. These were just my thoughts":

Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood are great hosts. Seem very down to earth, unpolished, and casual throughout the night. (Cindy's thought...I was impressed by both of them...I love Reba's hosting but you know what...I want to see them pair Brad and Carrie again)

The opening skit involved a parody of Hank Williams Jr.'s "All My Rowdy Friends" song regarding how Bocephus stepped into trouble this year with his remarks about Obama. Very funny stuff. Loved Bocephus' stern "Nothing to say" when asked if he had anything to say. (Cindy's thought...BRILLIANT! To have skipped what happened to Hank Junior earlier this fall would've been an "epic failure" of imagination on the writer's part)

Carrie Underwood has the best legs of any female star, tv, movie, or genre of music. (Cindy's thought...no comment)

What is the fascination with Taylor Swift that justifies another "Entertainer of the Year Award"? I get that she is refreshing, talented, and appeals to younger fans but "best entertainer"? I think not. Her performances too are getting to be a bit too "intimate"...almost odd. (Cindy's thought...like her or not, her concerts sell out and in this economy that's saying something)

Why does it seem that once these shows get started, it seems apparent that the judges or voters seem to zero-in on a particular band or artist and they win everything. Last night, it was "Band Perry". I realize they had a hit song this year, "If I Die Young", which is an odd but okay song but to win as many awards as they did over some very highly-received nominees is just weird. Happens every year though...next year, Band Perry may not win a single award. (Cindy's thought...a question as old as Adam and Eve...or at least it just feel's that way...but I saw it more as a changing of the guard as far as country music's sound is concerned--just what we saw in the 80's when Crystal Gayle and Kenny Rogers stopped winning awards because Reba McEntire and George Strait and Randy Travis were winning them...the entire sound of country went from a--for a lack of a better word "middle of the road" to traditional...and I saw almost the same thing last night although I'd say it was a change from Country "rock" or "adult contemporary" to dare I say it...traditional...what's old is new again--I think Perry's got at least another great year ahead of them)

Then Kenny Loggins appearing with Blake Shelton during the opening song of "Footloose" was kind of nostalgic. Brought back memories of Caddyshack...wonder if Kenny Loggins would appreciate that or not. Blake Shelton is a riot. (Cindy's thought...LOVE Blake Shelton...that's why he's on my twitter feed)

It was great to see Greg Allman appear with the Zach Brown Band on a rendition of Ray Charles' "Georgia on My Mind". He appears to be in much better health than he was last year at the Pabst. Rather disappointed in Zach Brown that they chose to do this song rather than one of their hits from the past year. (Cindy's thought...while I agree with you in part on Zach Brown...sometime's it's straying from the script that creates magic...I'm thinking specifically of the year Mary Chapin Carpenter strayed from her minor barely nominated hit and sang her brilliant (and infamous) "I'm Your Opening Act..." She stole the entire show and it immediately upped her asking tour price a few thousand bucks)

Not a Rascal Flatts fan but whoever the woman was that singing with Rascal's lead singer sounded remarkably like Justin Bieber (who actually recorded the song w/Rascal Flatts) and was entertaining simply because she appeared to have been rolled into a carpet remnant and walked onto stage. (Cindy's thought... Natasha Bendingfield--"and the rest is just unwritten")

Luke Bryan...for the love of all that is holy, lose the skinny jeans! (Cindy's thought...disagree...LOVE the skinny jeans...;)...)

Little Jimmy Dickens portraying Justin Bieber was pretty lame... (Cindy's thought...I don't know...if that's the only way they'll bring Jimmy back on I say do it)

Lionel Richie is attempting to crossover to country music now? Hootie (Darius Rucker) is awesome and saw him at Country Thunder this past summer....Lionel, i don't think that is going to be as good of a story. (Cindy's thought...Hey youngster, no dissing my man Lionel...You can look all the way back to the 80's to see his work with Alabama's number one "Deep River Woman" plus Kenny Roger's number one "Lady" another country hit Lionel wrote.)


Sugarland's Jennifer Nettles has a great voice although it can be annoying to me at times. Her performance with some dude, Matt Nathanson, was a bit disturbing and odd. Never heard or saw this guy before but after watching him last night, I now know that i never want to hear or see this guy again. Some odd cross between Dave Matthews, John Mayer, and Axel Rose. (Cindy's thought... blatant attempt to attract people who don't listen to country)

Martina McBride's performance about the breast cancer situation was pretty strong.

The tribute to Glen Campbell was pretty good however, they seemed to cut away from him before he could vocally acknowledge the tribute. Perhaps, his medical condition is making it difficult and they were trying to not embarrass him but i thought it would have been nice to hear a few words from him. He was trying to strum his guitar but there were no hot mics on for him (unlike Obama who can't seem to get away from the hot mics!). (Cindy's thought...according to Glen's wife, Glen is entering the middle stage of his Alzheimer disease, and as much as I would've liked to hear what he had to say, the reality is he could've come off as confused which would've been a painful way to conclude his award show legacy, for example the state of California has taken away his driver's license which Glen is still unaware of...)

What is the attraction of Faith Hill? Don't like her music, singing, and really don't think she's that "hot"...very thin and too much makeup. (Cindy's thought...I've actually met Faith--right before she hit with Wild One--she is a sweetie...plus, I'd never been able to get my husband to watch the CMA's without her!)

Bill Markut

2 comments:

Bill Markut said...

In my defense, I need to make a couple more comments...i wrote that as i was watching it unfold last night so that was literally my off-the-cuff reaction.

I like Lionel Richie and even, back in the day, could enjoy the Commodores...i just don't see it happening for him in today's marketplace.

Great point about ZBB and Mary Chapin-Carpenter...i totally forgot about that and you are absolutely correct in that regard! I still liked ZBB's performance and their venture with Greg Allman...just a bit disappointed to not see "Colder Weather" or something...and i saw him twice this year in Green Bay and Country Thunder so i should just shut up about that...

One thing i forgot to mention was the dude from Modern Family singing a parody of "Forever and ever, Amen" with Brad-cephus and Carrie. Funny stuff!

Cindy Huber said...

Bill,

I LOVED your critique...I thought it was great, that's why I printed it!

Cindy