Pages

Sunday, March 08, 2020

My dad's 80th Birthday, January 23, 2017


So three years and two days ago, I took a puddle jumper from O'Hare to Mason City, Iowa to celebrate my dad's 80th birthday.  I told him I was coming.  The two hour flight was uneventful until we tried to land, too much fog.  So we landed in Fort Dodge, one hour to the Southwest.  And the guy behind the counter there told me I would have to find my own way to Mason City.  On a Saturday night.  Out in the middle of no where.  At 6 PM at night.

I asked one of the other six passengers, a girl who sat next to me on the entire flight if I could catch a ride with since her friend was driving down to pick her up.  She said no, because I was a stranger.  I offered her everything in my wallet (80 bucks).  She said she'd think about it.  Her friend said yes, but first they'd have to stop at the gas station.  To pick up beer.  With my 80 bucks...which they drank on the one hour ride North to Mason City.  They dropped me off in front of my dad's house, completely dark, and I feared the worst.  Banged on the door and he finally answered, "what the heck are you doing here???

Happy 82nd Birthday Dad, wish you were here.



No comments: